Thursday 4 August 2011

Introducing a Darklord through the Tarroka

I can't remember where I read the idea, but I want to advocate it to anyone who will listen. If you are able to print tarroka cards, consider printing off extra copies of particularly nasty ones. Here's my idea for when my heroes will inevitably incur the wrath of a Darklord:
--While on the run the heroes encounter a small Vistani caravan. I have it in mind so make my campaign Vistani-friendly, so the heroes have easy access to a mentoring force that can direct them when they get lost (I know the Vistani aren't good, but that's part of the fun).
--Anyway, they stop by the caravan's fortuneteller for a tarroka reading and the young woman pulls a horrid series of cards: all darklords.
--There's only one possibility: the Darklord's influence is being felt by the cards. The man/woman/creature and his/her/its minions are due to arrive at any moment! The young woman can only offer the party the advice to flee as fast as they can and pray that their pursuer kills them swiftly.
--As the heroes exit the fortuneteller's vardo, the Vistani have already come under attack. Though they are neutral, the domain lord chooses to look past this as they harbor fugitives in his/her/its realm.

No comments:

Post a Comment